In this section, you will find resources and materials relevant to the Grandmothers Campaign. These are used across the Campaign in many ways – for group events, information sessions, or for distribution to local communities – as grandmothers groups raise funds and awareness, and build solidarity with African grandmothers.
Powered by Love Book Resources
Powered by Love: A Grandmothers’ Movement to End AIDS in Africa draws on hundreds of interviews with grandmothers in sub-Saharan Africa, Canada, and the UK, to tell the story of this incredible movement from the perspective of grandmothers themselves. These stories help readers to understand the impact African grandmothers are having in the midst of the AIDS pandemic and to appreciate the power of the global grandmothers’ movement and how it grew.
- Visit the Powered by Love book website to learn more
- Download the Powered by Love Book Club resources
- Watch a ten minute about the book that includes interviews with African grandmothers featured in the book, along with context from the co-authors
- Listen to a 4 min song written specifically for this book. It includes many beautiful photos that are included in the book.
We have a variety of print materials for use in your fundraising and awareness-raising efforts. You can order all of the print materials listed below from our office. To place an order, please contact us.
- Grandmothers Campaign 2-Sided Flyer
- Grassroots newsletter (published every fall) & Spotlight on Grassroots newsletter (published every spring). Click here to view PDF and online versions.
- Donor envelopes (with your group ID# to track the donations)
- Turning the Tide postcards with a message from Stephen Lewis:
We have also produced a range of multimedia materials which we think you will find particularly useful for showing at group meetings, fundraising events, or for new members. Some are available on DVD and some can be viewed online. Listed below are the materials that we think will be most helpful to you. Contact us to place an order for DVDs.
- Celebrate and Re-Dedicate 5:25 min.
- African Grandmothers Tribunal Film 43 min.
- African Grandmothers Tribunal Full Footage
- Ask Her: Women’s Expertise. 6:36 min.
- Hope at the Grassroots. 4:30 min.
- AfriGrand Caravan
- The Great Canadian Conversation about HIV/AIDS in Africa 2010. 1:09:30 min.
Contact us to find out what’s new in our DVD selection, or click here to view some short video clips online.
Grandmothers Gatherings Statements
Grandmothers have gathered in Toronto, Canada (2006), Manzini, Swaziland (2010), Entebbe, Uganda (2015), Durban, South Africa (2016). Grandmothers themselves facilitate workshops and lead discussions on topics ranging from grief to depression, from stigma to the care of children orphaned by AIDS, from land rights to pensions. From these gatherings have come important statements that have become touchstones for grandmothers.
- Grandmothers to Grandmothers: The Dawn of a New Movement (Grandmothers Gathering Report)
- South African Grandmothers Statement – English
10 Year Anniversary Materials and Resources
We have a variety of materials for use in your fundraising and awareness-raising efforts to mark the 10 Year Anniversary of the Campaign. You can order all of the materials listed below from our office. To place an order, please contact us either by phone or email.
- Updated Grandmothers Campaign Flyer marking the 10 Year Anniversary
- Grandmothers Campaign postcard with a quote from Stephen Lewis
- 10 for 10 Initiative Monthly Giving Flyer
- 10 Year Anniversary pins – (1 inch engraved metal lapel pins) available to registered grandmothers groups for sale and/or consignment
- 10 Year Anniversary Videos