Throughout the years, Grandmother Regional Liaisons (GRLs) have been instrumental in creating and maintaining an additional line of communication between the Stephen Lewis Foundation’s Grandmothers Campaign Team and grandmothers groups across the country.
Grandmother Regional Liaisons (GRLs) come from all across Canada and work together, with the Stephen Lewis Foundation, to strengthen and enhance the Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign. GRLs have a special relationship to the Stephen Lewis Foundation and work alongside Grandmothers Campaign staff to support and encourage new and existing grandmothers groups. They may also participate in Campaign-wide initiatives at the local, regional and national level.
Scope of Commitment
GRLs take on a part-time, voluntary position with the Foundation for a term of two years. The time commitment will vary but should not exceed 5 to 8 hours a week, allowing also for vacations/time away from the Campaign.
GRLs are asked to commit to the following:
- Further the shared goals of the Campaign:
- Raise funds in Canada to support the Stephen Lewis Foundation’s work with African grandmothers and the children in their care. The Foundation collaborates with community-based organizations that provide grandmothers with support such as food, school fees, income generating activities, counselling and home visits.
- Raise awareness in Canada about the expertise and leadership of Africa’s grandmothers and their struggle to secure a hopeful and healthy future for generations of children orphaned or made vulnerable by HIV/AIDS.
- Build solidarity among African and Canadian grandmothers in order to better understand and sustain the vital work being done to turn the tide of AIDS in Africa.
- Respond to the needs of groups in their region by creatively interpreting their role as ambassador, conduit and liaison and by using their unique skill set
- Participate in monthly conference calls with Grandmothers Campaign team
- Attend an annual face-to-face meeting at the Stephen Lewis Foundation’s office located in Toronto, ON to share information and set goals and priorities for the year
The following skills and experience are an asset:
- Knowledge of the philosophy and work of the Foundation and how staff assess and partner with community-based organizations in sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience with the Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign through active participation in a grandmothers group
- Good communication skills for outreach, speaking to the public and promotion of the Campaign
- Some established connections to local groups in a region to draw on for information, support and collaboration
- Relationship building skills to strengthen and develop networks between groups in a region by supporting and sustaining groups, and by encouraging collaboration between groups
- Reasonably good computer and website search skills for communicating and supporting grandmothers groups, and communicating with SLF staff
For more in-depth information on the GRL role and the stated goals of the Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign, pleases contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-888-203-9990 ext. 0